Tuesday, January 3, 2012

it's cold outside. And in here.

Ugh, they turned the heater off.  Damn you, employer, damn you to Hell.  Thank God for Under Armour.  That stuff is probably the best kind of clothing ever.  I own quite a bit actually.  Let's see, I have 3 hats, a mock-turtleneck long sleeve thing i'm currently wearing, 2 hoodies, and a cut-off shirt for when it's hot.  Oh, I have a pair of sandals too.  OK thats it.  I'm not obsessed or anything, I just love quality clothing.  My mom bought me one of the hoodies a couple of Christmas's back, and I was amazed at how warm the thing was.  I had a North Face jacket too, but it was nothing compared to the Armour.  In my current line of work, keeping warm and keeping cool are 2 very important factors crucial to getting the job done.

They're cheering again.  I can't believe that before they get started working on 3rd shift, they make them cheer, like its a damn football game.  Your'e loading trucks people, not scoring touchdowns.  I mean, I understand the importance of boosting morale and all that shit, but to make your people cheer before you have them load/unload trucks full of boxes for hours straight?  That's almost like making someone dig their own grave and then telling them to hop in and fill the dirt back into the hole from the coffin, and to cheer doing it.  I used to do that shit, and I can tell you with an absolute certainty, I do not miss it.  I loaded/unloaded trucks for close 4 years until my current position.  And what a drastic change it has been!

I sit behind a computer most of my nights now.  I process international customs documents attached to packages and shipments that are required to get them over the border to Canada.  It has it's off nights and it's busy ones.  I'm pretty regimented when it comes to my daily grind;  I arrive around 5 (I dont have to be here until 6 PM, but I like to be early), go through all my stuff from the day before, then go to my work area to process all the stuff I have for that day.

I usually get all my stuff for the day done no later than 7 PM. I get some more stuff to do around 8:30, but it's not time consuming.  I mainly do a lot of data entry and tracking down packages.  Then around 10 PM, I go up to the office, and fax all my paperwork.  Afterwards, I go back to my area to see if I get any late shipments, and if I have nothing, I leave around 12:30 AM.

Pretty boring.  But it has it's amenities.  I have a computer, a desk, and most importantly, seclusion.  I love the fact that I don't have to talk to anyone when I get here.  I call up front to let them know i'm here at least, but I don't have to.

Now, before someone takes this the wrong way, I love my job.  Or I should say, I love the company I work for.  Sometimes I wish I had more to do, but the fact of the matter is, I already do a lot of stuff beyond my pay grade that other people should be doing, but I guess it's not a bad price to pay for complete autonomy in the workplace.

But I would sincerely love to be doing something more attuned to my creativity than sitting here wasting away behind a HP monitor, listening to the click-clack of the sorter going overhead.  I would like to do more creative photography,  and Brooke's going to kill me if I don't start practicing more close-ups and macro's.  Apparently there's a lot of weddings coming up, so there is a good opportunity to make some more money on the side this year, but I want to branch out a little further this year.  I deem this year the one of no f'ing around, the one where I finally let my creative juices go and to avoid all the things that  are holding them back.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment